So on the last night, pre-training, my new work-crew-pal, Lydia, asked if I wanted to join her and some guys on a laundry excursion into town, since she had a seat left in a car. Wanting to appear some sort of social, I agreed. But when we got to the guy's housing, they had promised that seat to another guy. After some deliberation, I offered to drive my car into town as well so that everyone could go. No big deal, right?
We drive and drive ("going into town" is like a 20 minute drive), we get into Seymour and are stopped at a stoplight when a guy pulls up beside us, honks, rolls down his window, and informs me that my front-passenger-side tire is pretty much totally flat. ...Lame. Even more so, because the SAME thing happened last year. >:(
We drive another seven seconds and then KERPLOPPPP, we hear/feel the tire blow out. We got safely into a parking lot and the guys in my car start helping me try to get the tire off to put on the spare. Lydia's car-full of people arrived and also started helping. But somehow the thing I had in my car didn't fit the tire's lug-nuts, so Zoe (another work-crew-pal) and I had to knock on the door of a [thankfully] nearby autoparts store and beg them to let us in to buy a crossbar tool thing. We bought it, headed back to the car and alas, two lug-nuts were completely stripped and there was officially no way for us to get the tire off. Huzzah.
I called our roadside-assistance friends, battled an automated response system to talk to a real live human, and finally got a tow truck to come get my car and take it to a tire-fixing place. The guys took Lydia's car to Sonic and she and Zoe stayed with me to make sure I didn't die in downtown Seymour waiting for a tow truck. When it arrived [at EXACTLY 10:17, btw] Lydia took her car and the guys back to camp and I spent the night in town with Zoe, who just happens to live in Seymour.
In the morning, I had a frantic I-lost-my-wallet episode, in which Zoe literally took a knife to the couch I slept on, cutting it open to look for it. All of which happened before I thought to call the tire place and have them look in my car for it, which of course, was where it had been all along. Sigh...
The happy ending to this story is that I had to get a new tire, but it was like 150% less expensive than I expected.
God is always putting me in crazy circumstances that, if He wasn't involved, I would be COMPLETELY unequipped to handle. I think He knows I need to truly rely on Him more than I do naturally.
No comments:
Post a Comment